Black mold truly is a silent killer. This type of infestation is easy to overlook as it tends to hide out in areas that are not always the easiest to detect. Before you know it, toxic black mold has done more than damage your home: it has affected your health as well.
Below, we will outline the basics of black mold and what makes it so infamous of the common house and building molds. We will go over the common health issues that are thought to be related to black mold exposure, as well as what to do if you think you may have come in contact with this substance or if you believe your house has an infestation.
Black mold, or Stachybotrys chartarum, is different from other types of mold because it is extremely toxic to humans. While exposure to any type of mold is never advised, black mold stands out in the severity of problems it may cause. While other types of mold are much more common, black mold isn’t necessarily an uncommon problem for homeowners. Mold can be found in old homes and buildings as well as newer builds.
Black mold typically has a greenish-black hue and looks slimy. You’ll be able to see it, and you can often identify it by its mildew-like odor.
As previously stated, black mold tends to grow in hidden areas, typically where moisture is present. It thrives in warmer areas that have higher levels of cellulose and lower levels of nitrogen. This can mean under your kitchen or bathroom sink, in cabinets, in HVAC ducts, through drywall, behind wallpaper, in carpeting, and in wood paneling. Buildings that have experienced a flood or internal leak are more likely to develop an unwanted mold growth.
Black mold is a big deal. If you find black mold growing in your home, the time to act is now. Infants, children, the elderly, people who suffer from allergies, people who have an underlying lung disease, and people with weakened immune systems are at a higher risk of developing any symptoms. That being said, anyone who comes in contact with toxic black mold may also be at risk for developing any symptoms. Black mold may also cause harm to your house pets.
Mold exposure in general may cause sinus and nasal irritation, headache, cough, fatigue, and skin and eye irritation. More severe symptoms triggered by mold exposure are upper respiratory infections, chest tightness, and difficulty breathing (dyspnea).
Black mold poses these risks, but to greater severity. Mycotoxins, which are lipid-soluble toxins released by black mold, can easily be absorbed through the lungs, skin, and intestinal lining. These mycotoxins may cause some of the previously mentioned symptoms, but they can also cause much more severe problems. In the most severe cases, black mold has been thought to be the cause of neurotoxicity, hematologic disorders, immunologic disorders, endocrine or hepatic toxicities, problems during pregnancy, gastrointestinal problems, cardiac problems, and cancer.
If you believe that you are suffering from any of these symptoms, seek a medical evaluation immediately.
If you think you have black mold in your home, do not touch it or disturb it in any way. This includes pulling back wallpaper to expose the infestation. This can cause the mold spores to spread into the air, causing harm to you and potentially spreading the infestation. When investigating the suspected mold spot, be sure to wear safety goggles, a respirator, and rubber gloves.
Black mold can be tricky to remove, but it isn’t impossible. We highly recommend that you do not attempt to remove black mold on your own. Instead, we recommend that you bring in a professional for the job.
If you do choose to use a professional to do the hard work for you, know that the removal process can be expensive, but just remember that the alternative is sacrificing your health and the health of your family.
That being said, it is not entirely impossible to remove the mold on your own. If you do feel qualified to tackle the mold removal process on your own, you can expect to go through the following steps:
If followed correctly and completely, these steps should fix your black mold problem. However, you should continue to carefully monitor the previously infected area to see if the mold starts growing back. This is a sign that the black mold was not completely removed in the first place. When in doubt, call in a professional mold removal specialist who can tell you if the mold has been successfully contained or if more treatments are needed.
Black mold can take over your home without you even knowing it. Ignoring the problem could lead to some pretty serious health concerns for you, your family, or your pets. Regularly inspecting your bathrooms, basement, kitchen, outdoor sheds, and any other area of your home that you suspect could be fostering a mold infestation is key to catching the problem before it’s too late. When in doubt, call in a mold removal specialist. When it comes to a problem as serious as toxic black mold, it certainly is better to be safe than sorry!