Common Misconceptions When It Comes To Indoor Mold

  • Home
  • /
  • Blog
  • /
  • Mold
  • /
  • Common Misconceptions When It Comes To Indoor Mold

mold around window

Are you concerned about mold in your house? You ought to be. Mold is present in every building on the planet. It is in the air we breathe. This does not follow that every building has a mold problem or even a high mold spore count. It is common knowledge that mold can cause or aggravate asthma, asthma, allergies, and breathing and respiratory problems. A few of these problems can persist for a lifetime. Fortunately, indoor air quality can be positively affected by the efficient control of the growth of mold.

As a mold remediation company, we see many serious mold problems that were made worse because a house owner attempted to eliminate the issue without educating themselves first, or they relied upon somebody who was not qualified to handle a mold remediation job.

Just Use Bleach & Water

In our industry, belief that a bleach/water solution will efficiently kill or remove a mold issue is one of the most common myths. Surface mold will be destroyed by bleach, however, mold in a house is almost never only on a surface. Chlorine bleach includes ions which won’t allow it to permeate the surface of porous materials such as drywall. The water from this solution will penetrate most of the material surfaces. This increases the problem because mold spores are always searching for sources of moisture to attach themselves to. This is an organic food source for these spores. This water source makes it possible for these spores continue to spread further. This hidden mold is the most significant aspect of any problem.

Store Bought Products

Many individuals attempt to rely on merchandise from their local stores that claim to “eliminate” mold. Truth is most of the products contain the same chemical makeup utilized in chlorine bleach. If controlling and eliminating mold were that simple we wouldn’t have an entire industry devoted to mold remediation.

When completing mold remediation, an EPA registered fungicide or moldicide should always be used. They are registered for a reason. Exposure to many of these products is not safe for pets and humans.

Mold Testing

Many businesses tell you that testing is a component of the remediation process. The fact is, testing is not a required. A visual inspection is the most essential part of the testing. The CDC’s site will inform you that in a residential environment, it doesn’t matter what the species of mold present is, it ought to be taken care of. Separate testing will only increase the expense of repair. There are times when testing is required but your remediation company will understand when this really is the case.

10 Things To Keep In Mind

  1. A qualified professional should inspect your home annually. This will offer early detection and help to keep mold from becoming a significant issue.
  2. Mold spores are microscopic so if mold is found it is best to have it contained to a small place.
  3. Never assume that a small patch of mold is not an issue. Hidden mold will create the biggest and most expensive problem.
  4. Not all types of mold are harmful. Many are needed and helpful.
  5. Species that discharge mycotoxins may cause or aggravate respiratory issues and considerable breathing and of mold which are dangerous.
  6. Never assume that because you aren’t sensitive to mold that it is not harmful. Others in your family can be susceptible even if you aren’t.
  7. Continued exposure is what leads to long term issues.
  8. All indoor mold issues should be remediated immediately.
  9. Inspections are more important in houses with older residents, infants, small children, pregnant women, newborns, and anyone with an immune deficiency or depressed immune system.
  10. If you or someone you know is pregnant, then have the home inspected for mold before bringing home a newborn.
{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}